Thursday 26 July 2012


Kofta Challow




In a fit of international madness, I decided to embark on a mission to cook at least one meal from every country in the world. *Gulp*. I have of course covered a few countries already, but decided to start this project with Afghanistan – a cuisine I know next to nothing about. Googling, I found a recipe that I decided to adapt for the Slimming World plan. I fist came across using coriander seeds in meatballs back in the 1980s, when we travelled to within 40 miles of the Afghan border, in what what then Soviet Central Asia. 

 I always struggle to find extra lean minced lamb, so I usually mince my own – today I cheated and 'minced' the meat by pulsing cubed lamb (with all visible fat removed) in in the food processor. It was too hot today to spend much time in the kitchen.

I always cook my meatballs in the steamer rather than frying or baking them as it is so much less hassle – they remain anaemic, but if you are serving them in a sauce it really doesn't matter. 



 

Serves 2
Syn Free on Extra Easy

250g extra lean minced lamb (see note above)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 egg
2 tsp coarsely ground coriander seeds
1 tsp bouillon powder
½ tsp ground black pepper

300ml passata
2 small onions, finely chopped
1 tsp bouillon powder
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin

1 cup basmati rice
1 tsp coarsely ground cumin seeds
5 whole cardamom, ground
salt



I made this the easy way, by placing all the ingredients for the meatballs in a food processor and pulsing it until the meat resembles mince and the onion in finely chopped. Form little meatballs with your hand and steam for 15 minutes until cooked through.

Cook rice in plenty of water with the spices.

Make the sauce by frying the onion in Fry Light until soft, then add all the other ingredients. Once the meatballs are cooked, add to the sauce and serve with the rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment